For those who are in a wheelchair in the Dallas Fort Worth area, there are many great resources to assist you with your seating and positioning needs. We have some of the best clinicians, hospitals and therapists in the U.S. and now there is a great new product that can help you with your seating and positioning needs. Having the right positioning product can be a life changer and we are very excited to talk about a new product on the market. In this blog post we take a look at the all new Java® Wheelchair Cushion by Ride Designs. Here is a quick video review by Ride Designs of the new wheelchair cushion:
In this section we take a look at the different aspects of Ride Designs’ creation: the Java cushion. These are:
1. Basic Description: The contour of the wheelchair cushion works by the principle of redistributing the pressure forces. This means that those areas that are prone to postural stress have a decreased force of shear applied to it, while the bulk of the pressure is redirected to the areas that are soft and more tolerant. The basic premise of this design is a systematic reduction of long term skin risk as well as a reduction of deep tissue risk that adversely affects the muscle tone of the gluteo-femoral muscle range.
2. Research Backing: The Ride Designs Java Cushion is one of the only wheelchair cushions ever to have taken part of a university level research project. Here is a summary of the research:
Methodology: 10 subjects with SCI, Paraplegia were taken of which 9 were male and 1 female. The average age was 45 and the average time since onset was 20 years. The Interface pressure measurements were performed using the Xsensor pressure mapping system and 5 2-minute trials were concluded with both an air cushion and the Java cushion with the cushions being unweighted between trails.
Objective: The aim of the research was to compare the IPM dispersion index between Java Cushion and the air cushions. The dispersion index (DI) is the sum of pressure distributed over the IT and sacral regions divided by the sum of pressure readings over the entire interface pressure mat and is expressed as a percentage.
Results: Interface pressure mapping results indicate effective “off-loading” of the Java Cushion and the dispersion index was significantly lower on the Java Cushion compared to the air cushion, particularly among chronic SCI subjects.
Methodology: 10 subjects were taken, all with SCI, Paraplegia. The average time since onset was 18.4 years, with most recent being 3 years, and longest being 30 years.
Objective: The objective was to compare deep tissue deformation below the ITs and surrounding the femoral head under three conditions: 1) Fully suspended, 2) Properly-inflated Air Cushion, 3) Java Cushion.
Results: There was little tissue deformation on the Java Cushion as compared to sitting on a properly inflated air cushion as was evidenced by measurement of muscle and fat thickness below the ischial tuberosities.
3. Advantages of the Product: As can be seen from the research summaries above, the entire conception and design of the Java Cushion is one based on accurate, scientific testing. The main advantages of investing in this cushion are:
- It provides greater stability while sitting and reduces postural stress.
- There is a marked reduction in deep tissue distortion as can be seen from the MRI research.
- The contours of the wheelchair cushion allow for optimal heat and moisture management that can reduce skin sores.
- The entire cushion is really lightweight and shows up to a 43% reduction in weight as compared to the normal air cushions.
- The Java Cushion can be adjusted using the Ride CAM wedges and well inserts for added comfort and better protection of the skin and deep tissues.
- The cushion can be adjusted according to anyone’s needs by simply adjusting the thigh support accessories. In short, this is one of the most versatile wheelchair cushions designed by Ride Designs and can be used for one and all.
- There is also a significant reduction in long term skin damage due to the off-loading of high risk areas such as the: Ischial Tuberosities, Greater Trochanters, Coccyx/Sacrum and the Perineum (Groin).
We are very excited to be a Ride Designs provider in the Dallas Fort Worth area. The Mobility Healthcare Rehab team specializes in providing high end seating and positioning products and have access to many types of wheelchair cushions to trial with clients in the DFW area. Contact us today if you are a physical therapist, occupational therapists or a consumer and would like to evaluate the cushion. The new Java Wheelchair Cushion might just be that seating solution that you have been looking for that might change your life!